Thursday, February 5, 2009

Does luxury even exist anymore??

Today's posting isn't about a cool new product, or a beauty or fashion tip. Today, I'd like to merely pontificate on the notion that in today's economy, it seems like the idea of "luxury" as we know it, is gone. I live and work in an affluent suburb of NYC. I work for a magazine that's considered a "luxury" publication. I run images of couture gowns upwards of $10,000 and $20,000 and tell people where to shop for them. But today, even an executive at that magazine, suggested that perhaps in today's times, we are going about this all wrong. That even those with disposable incomes, are cutting back. And by showcasing these items that seem to be more fantasy than reality for most, are we just throwing it in everyone's faces? Maybe the readers don't like looking at things they can't have. Or maybe they can have them but at this point in time, are choosing not to. I promised to try to keep "value" more in mind as opposed to extravagence, and hopefully that will eliminate the potential alienation of any of our readers. But, like anything else, it's hard to break the mold. Even though I've been writing about fashions for 4 years that I myself have never really been able to afford, maybe part of it is the "fantasy" that drew me to it. After all, fashion is all about fantasy anyway, isn't it? Maybe it's not always what's "attainable." I mean, how interesting would it be to write about those sweaters at The Gap? This spring, you likely won't see many women in fuchsia harem pants or 5-inch stiletto's. But that doesn't mean in our own little fantasy worlds, we aren't towering around Manhattan 5-inches above the rest of the world.

What does everyone else think? Is the idea of "luxury" as passe as the Bush Administration?

2 comments:

Meg said...

I think you are right- for now fashion remains a fantasy (here's to hoping it all gets better soon, right?!) and again I agree that reading about sweaters from Gap is not going to sell magazines.....However, I for one still want to see the fashion....but mostly I want to know how to replicate it on a "post Bush" budget!!!!!!

Hilary said...

At the gym today, I read Marie Claire, who had a section entitled something like "even in these times, styles we can steal" or something. Then they went on to show Louboutin flats, "price upon request;" $600 scarves, etc. To me, that is not a steal. Sure, I don't live in the world of fashion--each page of that "steal" is probably more than my monthly income--but I also don't consider that publication to be super high end. Although sure, I can appreciate the artistry and quality of couture, I also think it's a little ridiculous what some places/people consider "a bargain."