Monday, January 26, 2009

2 hours with Vincent Longo




No, my job does not suck. If I have to work on a saturday, it's for something so awful as a personal appearance with celebrity makeup artist (and namesake for his makeup line) Vincent Longo. So when my friend Meryl, publicist for Bloomies in White Plains, invited me to come in and work on a saturday, I jumped at the chance to interview Vincent and have my face done by him, personally!


The man is a fixture backstage at fashion week, making up the most glamorous models. And he may have just inadvertantly started a rumor that Hillary Clinton had a facelift (it was an eye pencil application technique he used on her!) But don't fault him for his brilliance. Longo knows his stuff, and that's why he's the go-to guy for celebrities like Michelle Williams, Gwyneth Paltrow, SJP and Claire Danes.


For me, he suggested the same technique...in order to "widen" the eyes...you simply rub the pencil on your hand, dab a small brush in it, and line your eyes using short, downward strokes. It makes a very wearable, everyday smokey eye. For me, he recomended lavender shadow and liner, to accent my blue eyes. While he says he wishes he could see every woman in a red lip this spring, for me, I stuck to the nudes, in what was likely THE BEST nude lip gloss I've ever tried. It's not too pink, and it's not too brown...it's just perfect. I went home with a little baggie of stuff (and believe me, I rarely buy makeup!) and even requested some more products from his PR. You can find Vincent's line at SPACE NK in Bloomingdale's in Manhattan or White Plains.


And for more of Vincent's tips, you'll have to wait for April/May's issue of The Wag!


No comments: