Monday, August 27, 2007

Calgon, take me away... or at least to the spa

I really could get used to all of this pampering. Now, Wag is working on a spa story...and since I AM a fashion and beauty editor, hey, my job descrip requires that I once in a while, try out some new spa treatments, well, you know, for my READERS. Yah, for them, uh, huh? Hey, I DID go through lip injections, hair extensions and eyelash extensions for you people, I deserve a little R & R! Anywho, I just wanted to share the experiences I had.

Monteverde in Cortlandt Manor is an experience like no other: http://www.monteverderestaurant.com/. Here's a way you can restore your psyche while you're getting your physical body worked on too. I started the day with an hour long private yoga session with Liz. Now, I am a New Yorker afterall, kinda hard for us to slow down - but Yoga FORCES you too....I guess that's what makes it good for you. And who knew it was actually a WORKOUT too? As I successfully twisted into my downward dog and plank positions, my muscles were SHAKING and I was feeling some muscles I didn't even know existed!! I find in my hectic daily life that I even sometimes forget to BREATHE.... scary thing, since Oxygen fuels or blood which fuels our cells which...well you get the picture, it's important for our very BEING. So, Liz and I worked on some breathing exercises and by the end, I was working that diaghram like never before. Monteverde now also has a fancy schmancy chef from the city, making it 5-star cuisine. I enjoyed a spa lunch after my yoga session before moving on to my massage and facial. They truly treated me like a Queen! and part of that is due to spa director Robin Queen, a fellow Libran and all around cool chick, if I must say so myself. She understands how to treat an editor :) and mainly, she just cares about a healthy lifestyle and teaching that to others. Moving on... my massage with Candace was one of the best I have ever had...and my facial with Robin was like no other (she focuses on breathing and meditation while you're getting "masked" and the products were almost good enough to eat - pumpkin mask would have to be my fave!) With Monteverde's signature dark chocolates, yoga elixr tea and fruit platters in between treatments, I truly was pampered. I also don't want to forget to mention that Monteverde is actually an old estate and the atmosphere was tres' cool... I loved that such new- age practices were being performed in such a historic old house!! I finished off the day with a full-chart by their in-house astrologer, Demitri. She took my birthday, time of birth and place of birth and revealed how my past, present and future and how that has formed my destiny. It all has to do with the alignment of the planets at the very, exact moment in time that I came into this world. It was reassuring to hear that I am doing exactly what I am MEANT to be doing. I will help, teach and guide others through beauty - hey, sounds good to me! :) Who knew I would leave a spa with such a spiritual awakening?? That night, I truly felt like a new woman!

My next visit was to the Emerson Resort and Spa near Woodstock, NY - home to the World's Largest Kaleidoscope. I wrote about Emerson (http://www.emersonplace.com/) in a past issue of Wag and it was well worth the visit. It's LITERALLY in the middle of nowhere (even for an upstate gal like me) and don't bother bringing your cells or black-berries - they WON'T work. Nestled in the catskill mountains, it's truly an atmosphere for R & R. The 2-story suite was a slice of luxury and a few steps from my suite was the spa, where I enjoyed the 4-handed hot oil Poultice pack massage. I have to admit, it was hard to relax with 2 people dripping hot oil on your naked body and then rubbing you down (I know, tough life I have!) but I somehow managed :) I enjoyed the steam room afterwards (no sauna for me!) and felt truly rejuvinated in mind, body and spirit!

Today, I encountered a different kind of spa experience - The Gym in Armonk is a state-of-the-art facility with a spa inside. Spa Director Vince provided a mini massage that got out every kink (apparently I had gained a few back since my 4-handed massage 2 days ago!) but was low on frills (no lavender/patchouli/mint scented massage oil, simply unscented lotion and an amazing accupressure-type touch.) In just 20-minutes, I actually felt like I had WORKED OUT (wow, amazing, I didn't even have to hit The Gym- ha!) - http://www.gettothegym.com/

No comments: