Monday, August 27, 2007

Fashion week star-spotting and jibber jabber day 1

February 4, 2007 - Sunday
Fashion week star-spotting and jibber jabber day 1

So... I'm waiting in line with all the other journalists to get into the Marc Bouwer show. Vivica A. Fox is abruptly whisked past us. They finally herd us in like cattle and order all of us to "the back." I grab a seat and the lights go down. The room fills with smoke and all of the front-row a-listers are coughing (seriously!)
The music starts pumping and Bouwer's fall collection appears in a haze of purple and silver (apparently will be the "it" colors next season) sequins and fur (faux fur I might add) hanging off the skin and bones that have become this day and age's "fashion models." I gasp at one in particular who is SO thin, it's almost frightening and the Marc Bouwer employee seated next to me whispers that SHE, too, is naturally skinny and it doesn't mean they're all anorexic. She also reveals that they were "all eating backstage" (what??! a carrot stick between all 12 of them??) However she then admits that she also modeled in the '80's and probably "didn't eat right" in order to stay thin enough.
I peer across the smoky runway and the first face I spot is ice skater Oksana Bayoul (sp?) slouched down in her seat. Just a few seats down is Rue McClanahan, aka Blanche from Golden Girls. I whisper to the reporter next to me "how random! look who's here!!! front and center at a FASHION SHOW!!" and he says yes, indeed, that's unmistakenly her! Seated a few seats down from her is Vivica A. Fox and entourage.. Directly across the runway is Richard Belzer (aka Munch from Law & Order SVU) with a poodle on his lap, (???) Petra Nemcova, Nigel Barker from America's Next Top Model and Marlo Thomas (not a St. Jude's sign in sight.)
After the show ends, I grab a photo of "Munch" and furry friend, natch, another quick one of Marlo Thomas (sorry Marlo, no time to chat right now!) and then I move on to my obsession of the day - meeting Rue McClanahan. I explained to her who I was and asked for a photo, which she obliged. I told her I was a big fan (I'm such a dork, I know!) and in her southern drawl with true southern belle charm, she said "thank you very much, you are SUCH a dear!." I thanked her for her time and then moved into the lobby of the tent. In the lobby, I snagged a photo with Nigel Barker who was caught in the midst of a swarm of admirers (yes he IS hot but VERY married. sorry ladies!) I then spotted another swarm and swiftly moved in that direction. It was none other than Vivica herself. She's very petite, beautiful and gracious. I was aware she was edging towards the door so I pushed my way to the front of the crowd and stuck my tape recorder near her face. We paused for a quick photo and then she did an interview with me. I asked her if she enjoyed the Marc Bouwer show (she did) and then told her I thought she'd look hot on the red carpet in that purple sequin mini number we saw sashaying down the runway. She laughed.
I decided it was time to call it a night (I have 5 more shows next week!) and moved towards the exit. Of course it was pouring rain and I didn't have an umbrella. Neither did Petra Nemcova who barreled out of her parked town car and ran past me towards the entrance, wearing open toe stillettos (and a hail of freshly sprayed perfume.)
More to come next week!!

No comments: